Monday 28 July 2008

OLYMPIC TRAINING CAMP - ENTRY 1

So we have been settled in now for a few days at our pre Olympic training camp in Newport, South Wales UK. It’s no where glamorous in location that’s for sure but it’s still an awesome set up we have here and absolutely perfect for all our requirements during this last scary bit of lead in to the Olympic Games. The hotel is a huge, posh very lush place with fancy rooms etc. It’s the kind of fancy hotel that has posh coffee and biscuits in the rooms – bingo for me eh!!. I’m content to munch my way through tasty biscuits guilt free all day long because every time I get out of the lift to go to my room I can help myself to a rosy red juicy apple from the fruit plate that’s on each floor. That helps negate the naughty biscuits (and all the other cheeky treats I give myself)!

Whilst we are on the subject of food I should mention that the hotel is dishing up a fine buffet of food for our meals which pleases me. Although some of the other guys have been complaining that we keep getting pretty much the same food every day, so I have to remind them that better to have a bad selection of good food than a good selection of bad food!

So away from thoughts of filling my stomach and back to what I was saying about having all the requirements we could need. The accommodation is great as I’ve said except for the road to get here goes up a flipping great hill up a gradient of 16%. A golf course surrounds the grounds of the hotel and this is where venue for the 2010 Ryder Cup is (see I told you the hotel was posh). So we use the Newport Velodrome for training on the track and it’s brilliant because we seem to have pretty much exclusive use of it. For road training stuff we just head straight out of the hotel and pound the tarmac in the welsh land, again just perfect. It seems the cold and drizzly rain that I was doing my best to avoid recently finally went on its way to visit other places and in its place came clear skies and hot sunshine for a few days. I went out on the road for a couple of hours the other day and I was in my element. At long last for the first time this year I was able to train out on my bike with out a winter jersey or knee warmers.

So we have the accommodation and the actual training location requirements nailed on this camp. We couldn’t ask for anything better, except perhaps for a Starbucks coffee shop located next door so we can get a regular coffee fix! All the other help and services that are provided to all of us by all the support staff I think I will have to go into next time. Right now I’ve got to pay full attention to my mug of hot chocolate before it gets cold and below the optimal biscuit dunking temperature!

2 comments:

Cymru Am Byth said...

Go for It. You rule !!

Anonymous said...

YOU CAN DO IT!! You have all the ability in the world and you are the best!